Cosmetic surgeries in India are setting newer standards with broader technological advancements and safer implantation protocols. Among the whole buffet of cosmetic surgical procedures, breast implantation or augmentation has been in great demand.
While at one hand, this procedure benefits a woman with fuller and rounder breasts using natural implants, safer methods, and faster recovery. On the other hand, several speculations concerning complications of breast augmentation side effects have been circulating.
At Dr. Handa, aesthetics and plastics, we provide a safer passage of breast augmentation by addressing your concerns and minimizing side -effects.
This article will give you a better picture of the possible boob job side effects with some recommendations and advice from our experts.
Table of Contents
Feel free to skip ahead if one topic catches your eye
- Breast Augmentation Implant Complication
- How much Breast Augmentation Side Effects (Long Term)?
- Breast Augmentation Side Effects (Short Term)
- Always Take Expert Advice
1.Breast Augmentation Implant Complication
Boob job surgical procedures require proper planning and execution to reduce the risks involved. However, one cannot rule out the possibility of unexpected or unanticipated complications that these breast augmentation surgeries can bring about.
- Scarring complications: After the breast implantation surgery, the natural tissues around the implant react with the foreign tissues. Sometimes, these reactions can develop immune responses where the collagen fibers develop scar tissues due to the highly prone bacterial breast tissue infections. This causes hardening of the breasts leading to their deformation.
- This condition is also called capsular contracture and can occur in nearly 1.9-2.3% of people undergoing boob job surgery. Untreated capsular contracture can lead to pain and cosmetic defects.
- These scarring complications are graded based on severity, where grade one is mildly complicated with fewer problems while grade three or four is severely complicated and requires additional surgical and treatment procedures.
- Complications of an implant rupture: Since its inception, breast implants have become a lot more natural and durable. Although rare, these implants can also rupture. Studies show most implant ruptures occur between 10 to 15 years of initial surgery. It can be due to various reasons like:
- Pressure from capsular contracture or scarring tissue development.
- A trauma caused by an accident
2.Breast Augmentation Side Effects (Long Term)
Boob job surgeries are often linked to certain problems that can be reversed with the removal of implants. Some issues like
- Memory loss
- Skin rashes
- Concentration issues
- Painful joints can increase the risk of rare adverse outcomes.
These are some of the long-term breast filler injection side effects. The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has identified the association of breast implants to develop anaplastic large cell lymphoma (ALCL)- a less common cancer of the immune system. Here the condition is termed breast implant-associated anaplastic large cell lymphoma (BIA-ALCL). However, this does not conclude that breast implants cause BIA-ALCL as their possibility of occurrence is as low as 1 in 30,000 implant cases.
While a lot of research and studies are going on the prevention of the breast augmentation side effects to make implantation a safer procedure. If you have had a breast implant placed, be wary of the possible signs and symptoms and reach out to your doctor immediately to avoid possible side effects and complications.
3.Breast Augmentation Side Effects (Short Term)
Typical breast augmentations involve cutting, insertion of implants, and sutures of the incisions. These sutured wounds and the implants will require time to heal and adjust with the body, otherwise can lead to boob job side effects such as:
- Noticeable scarring that is thick and less likely to fade
- Breast tissue hardening- as the scars shrink around the implants.
- Leaking implant side effects cause small lumps called silicone granulomas. They can cause folding, rotation, or “rippling” (a thin layer of tissue sticks to the implant) of the implant.
- Infection of the implant
- Problems with milk production or breastfeeding
- Sensitive nipples due to nerve damage- can be temporary for some women.
Some of the breast filler injection side effects requiring further surgery or treatment include:
- asymmetrical shape, size, or improper level
- Painful breasts and nipple area
- breast tissue atrophy- loosening of breast tissues
- Thinning and shrinkage of breast tissue
- Calcium deposition under the implant skin forms lumps
- Breast tissue hardening and scarring
- Deformity of the chest wall or rib cage
- Leaking implant side effects- hole or tear of implants
- Improper healing of the sutures
- Breast implant exposure through the skin due to skin breaks down
- Painful swelling and blood collection near the surgical site
- Damaged breast tissues and implants
- Infection and swollen lymph nodes
- Improper implant positioning
- Infection and dead tissue accumulation around the breasts
- Pus or fluid accumulation around the implant causing swelling, pain, and bruising.
4.Always Take Expert Advice
With meticulous planning and execution of preoperative and intraoperative boob job surgery, the risks of breast augmentation side effects are greatly reduced. Dr. Handa and his team can help minimize the possible complications associated with breast augmentation in Delhi.
Some of the recommendations and advice for a reduction in contamination and bacterial infections include:
- Take a shower before the surgery using a dermat recommended antibacterial foam gel for a deep skin cleaning process and to bacterial access during the surgery.
- Start with antibiotics before anesthetic intervention for infection curtailment.
- Before the implant placement, we cleanse the implant pockets with saline solution wet gauges and antibacterial solutions to remove residual dirt within the pockets.
- The use of nipple shields during surgery can prevent possible contamination through ductal openings.
- We protect the sutures with tape and use ice around the breasts to ensure minimal bleeding and seroma formations.
- We recommend special post-operative bras to prevent tissue attachment and inflammation.
- We assure careful surgical procedures with “no or minimum touch” application techniques, proper usage of sterile tools, minimum incision, and avoid wrinkles and fold during implantation.
- We advise patients to follow post-operative guidelines for faster and better healing from breast augmentation surgery.
Breast Augmentation Post-Operative Care
After breast augmentation surgery, it is vital to take proper care of yourself to ensure a smooth recovery. Here are some post-operative care tips:
- Follow the surgeon’s instructions: It is crucial to follow the surgeon’s instructions regarding post-operative care, including wound care, medication, and activity level.
- Take pain medications as prescribed: The surgeon may prescribe pain medications to manage pain and discomfort. Take these medications as directed and do not take any other medications without consulting the surgeon.
- Wear compression garments: The doctor may recommend wearing a compression garment to help reduce swelling and support the healing process.
- Take care of the incision site: Keep the incision site clean and dry. Additionally, avoid taking a bath or swimming until the incision site has healed.
- Limit physical activity: Avoid any strenuous physical activity for at least six weeks after the surgery. Patients can gradually resume light activities after the first few weeks, but they shouldn’t overdo it.
- Attend follow-up appointments: Patients should attend all scheduled follow-up appointments with their surgeon. They will monitor the progress and make sure everything is healing as it should be.
- Watch for signs of infection: Watch for signs of infection, such as fever, redness, swelling, and pain. Contact the doctor immediately if you experience any of these symptoms.
- Avoid smoking and alcohol: Smoking and alcohol can slow down the healing process and increase the risk of complications. Avoid smoking and drinking for at least two weeks after the surgery.
By following these post-operative care tips, a smooth recovery after breast augmentation surgery is ensured.
1. What are the indications of a breast implant rejection?
When pain and swelling near the implant area are acute even after surgical healing, there are chances of breast implants rejection . Sometimes, pain, inflammation, and fluid accumulation around the breasts can occur years after implantation, indicating rejection of implants.
2. What does a ruptured implant feel like?
Silicone implants hardly show noticeable signs and symptoms and are referred to as “silent rupture.” However, some ruptures of implants cause capsular contracture leading to breast shape and size change, firmness or hardness of breast with excessive swelling and pain.
Breast implants are a great way to enhance breast size giving you the “WoW” feeling of a fuller increased breast. However, like every surgical procedure, breast augmentation comes with a bundle of risks and side effects to be taken care of.
Dr. Handa’s aesthetics and plastics guarantee safe breast augmentation in Delhi by highly skilled and experienced cosmetic surgeons. They take immense care while addressing the concerns and complications associated with breast enhancement. The clinic is well equipped with the latest technology and highly trained surgeons, ensuring world-class results.