Are you anxious about your excess breast tissue, being a man? then let me tell you that you are not alone. According to research studies worldwide, 30-60% of males suffer from it. Gynecomastia, commonly referred to as ‘man boobs’/ ‘moobs’ is a condition where males develop heavy breasts due to enlargement or swelling. It usually does not cause any medical problems but relates more to emotional trauma, embarrassment, and loss of self-esteem. Don’t be disheartened, we will give you a glimpse of everything you need to know about gynecomastia surgery in delhi, through this article, which doctor to consult for gynecomastia, and how to get rid of Gynecomastia.
Table of Contents
Feel free to skip ahead if one topic catches your eye
- What causes Gynecomastia?
- How to get rid of Gynecomastia?
- Which doctor to consult for Gynecomastia?
- How to choose a doctor for Gynecomastia treatment?
- What questions should I ask a Gynecomastia specialist?
What causes gynecomastia?
It is very important to understand why and how men develop ‘moobs’ before we can find a solution to it. Let’s quickly see them:
- Natural hormone changes: This is the major cause of man boobs/ moobs where there is a hormonal imbalance in the body specifically between Testosterone (Male hormone) and Estrogen (Female hormone) resulting in the formation of fatty tissue on the chest area of men. It is common during puberty and aging.
- Certain Medications: Medicines for cancer, prostate treatment, steroids, and some antidepressants, some illegal drugs like heroin, Marijuana, etc. can cause breasts to enlarge in men.
- Health Conditions: Some diseases of the liver and kidney and some tumors can predispose to developing male breasts.
- Herbal products: Some products like lavender oil or tea tree oils also lead to gynecomastia by increasing estrogen levels.
- Obesity: This also causes the breasts to become big. It’s called ‘False gynecomastia’. Excess of processed food and an unhealthy lifestyle interfere with the natural body process of maintaining normal blood sugar levels by controlled insulin release and thus causes ‘Insulin resistance’ which in turn develops moobs.
How to get rid of gynecomastia?
Once the reason behind gynecomastia has been evaluated by the doctor, accordingly the correct treatment can be administered. Various options about how to get rid of gynecomastia are:
- Wait and watch: Some cases of gynecomastia, especially occurring during puberty, resolves on its own after a few months to less than 2 years when hormones get back to normal. Periodic checkups are required.
- Diet: Eating a low-calorie diet rich in iodine and zinc like berries, leafy vegetables, citrus fruits, beans, flax seeds, turmeric, etc. increases testosterone levels in the blood which in turn decreases gynecomastia. Also having a balanced diet and healthy eating habits, reverse insulin resistance and help to maintain normal sugar levels in the blood.
- Regular Exercise: this will help to burn your fat and lose weight. Specific exercises like bench press, push-ups, etc. help to strengthen muscles thus reducing fat deposition on the chest. Seek specialist advice for breasts/moobs reducing exercises.
Also Read: Exercise For Gynecomastia
- Hormonal Treatments: Hormonal pills like testosterone pills, testosterone replacement therapy, and testosterone therapy can also be considered. Always take your doctor’s advice.
- Avoid or limit alcohol intake: Since alcohol increases calories and also disturbs the hormonal balance, it is best to avoid it.
- Avoid consuming certain medications and drugs. If these are the cause of gynecomastia, then it should be substituted on doctor’s advice.
- Home remedies like a cold compress, using fish oil, passionflower, etc. also help for the reduction of male boobs/ moobs.
If none of these non-surgical treatments work, and if you need a quicker, long-lasting, and permanent treatment, then the doctors may recommend surgical interventions which are considered as the most effective treatment for gynecomastia with high success rates. This includes:
- Subcutaneous Mastectomy/ Excision technique/Breast reduction surgery/ mammoplasty: where excess skin and underlying tissue are removed and chest line is countered. It is done under anesthesia.
- Liposuction: Where excess fat and fluid is sucked out by a vacuum tube thus reducing moobs.
Most of the time both are used in unison.
Which doctor to consult for gynecomastia?
If you are suspicious about having gynecomastia and want to know how to get rid of gynecomastia and which doctor to consult for gynecomastia,
Please ask your physician to refer you to an endocrinologist who is an expert in the diagnosis and treatment of the hormonal system of our body. After seeking his advice and clearance, you must see a board-certified and qualified best plastic surgeon who will then evaluate for gynecomastia. Dr. Handa is one of the best plastic and cosmetic surgeons in Delhi with over 30 years of surgical excellence and ensuring highly satisfactory results.
How to choose a doctor for gynecomastia?
Choosing which doctor to consult for gynecomastia is one of the most important considerations, as he /she will be mainly responsible for the success of your treatment. Some guidelines are:
- Behavior and attitude: The doctor must be considerate, compassionate, and empathetic. Must listen to you patiently and boost your confidence. You must be comfortable sharing your problems and he/she must be able to explain to you properly and solve your queries.
- Board Certified: He/ she must possess the required qualifications for performing gynecomastia surgery. Properly equipped clinics with safety and hygienic standards are essential.
- Experience and skills: Well-experienced doctors will be able to perform better surgery and give you amazing results. Talk to other patients and get their feedback.
- Have a good aesthetic acumen: A good surgeon knows how to apply the cuts so that there is no scarring after recovery. You must see the before and after pictures of his/her previous patients.
- Be transparent and consistent with the cost-related aspects.
What questions should you ask a gynecomastia specialist?
You must be well prepared to ask some important questions to the doctor during the first consultation so that you get an overall idea about the doctor and know about your treatment well. These include:
- What is the right age for surgery?
- What is the success rate for surgery?
- How to Get Rid of Gynecomastia?
- What are the risks involved with the surgery and how can they be handled?
- Where will the surgery be performed? A doctor’s office or hospital?
- How many breast reduction cases has he performed and for how many years?
- How will your surgery be done? as there are different ways for gynecomastia surgery.
- How long will the surgery last and for how long will you need to stay before you can go home?
- Let the doctor know about all the medications and supplements which you are taking and ask about what medicines will be prescribed.
- When can you return to work?
- Will you need drains and compression vests after surgery and for how long?
- Can the male breasts/moobs grow again after surgery?
- When can you resume your daily exercise regime?
- Talk clearly about the fees of surgery and all other costs associated with it.
At Dr. Handa’s clinic, you will be in the safest hands. A team of highly qualified, skilled, dedicated, and experienced professional doctors will help you alleviate your fears and give you the best yet cost-effective treatment plan to get you back to your natural manly chest. It is highly equipped with the latest technology and maintains the best hygienic and infection control standards.