Rhinoplasty is a procedure for reshaping or reconstructing the shape of the nose for medical or aesthetic reasons. It is commonly known as “nose job” and one of the most popular cosmetic surgeries performed. Despite its familiarity, there are many rhinoplasty myths. Read on as we clear some common myths about the procedure.
Table of Contents
Feel free to skip ahead if one topic catches your eye
- Rhinoplasty is very costly.
- It is done for only cosmetic reasons.
- Every Surgeon can perform Rhinoplasty.
- Rhinoplasty gives unnatural looks.
- Anesthesia is harmful.
- It’s a painful procedure.
- It’s a painful procedure.
- Only Women undergo Rhinoplasty.
- Rhinoplasty is covered by Insurance.
- You can get a nose like your favorite celebrity.
1. Every Surgeon can perform Rhinoplasty.
- Contrary to popular belief, rhinoplasty is not very expensive.
- Depending on which part of the city your facility is in, it may cost anywhere between an average of Rs 70,000 to 2,00,000.
- This will, however, depend on the extent of changes required and the amount of work needed.
2. It is done for only cosmetic reasons
- Rhinoplasty gained popularity as a celebrity surgery and remains one of the common rhinoplasty myths.
- The truth is, rhinoplasty corrects functional issues such as a deviated nasal septum, to correct nasal fractures, improve airway obstruction, fix certain birth defects along with improving the appearance of the nose for aesthetic reasons.
- Augmentation rhinoplasty uses the body tissues as implants to correct structural defects.
3. Liposuction is another name for tummy tuck.
- Many of us may want nose tip or a beautiful nose bridge like our favorite celebrity which is one of the common rhinoplasty myths
- Recreating a nose like someone else’s is unlikely.
- Everyone’s facial and nasal anatomy is different.
- Your cosmetic surgeon will work with you to give you the best possible outcome and address the concerns that you may have with your nose.
4. Rhinoplasty gives unnatural looks.
- It may seem puzzling but not every surgeon can do it.
- Many patients have such preconceived rhinoplasty myths
- Rhinoplasty is typically performed by a plastic surgeon or an otolaryngologist (ENT specialist) who has received special training in facial plastic surgery.
- This is important because of the specialized skill that surgeons receive in performing nasal procedures and the expertise that comes with the experience of performing them over and over again.
5. Anesthesia is harmful
- It is not always true and stands on top of the list of rhinoplasty myths
- A skilled surgeon can give you the most natural possible looking nose.
- Also, the final shape of your nose will depend on how you heal after the surgery.
- Rhinoplasty recovery time ranges from six to eight weeks.
- You must wait for a few weeks for the bruising and swelling to come down to see how the procedure has improved your nose.
Also Read: Rhinoplasty Recovery Time Day By Day
6. It’s a painful procedure.
- Rhinoplasty may be performed under local anesthesia, general anesthesia, or intravenous sedation.
- The type of anesthesia will depend on the work needed, the surgeon’s opinion in the best interest of the patient, and the patient’s preferences.
- Before the surgery, the anesthetist’s opinion will be taken who will decide on the specific dose and mode of anesthesia for you.
- Anesthesia is given in calculated doses and under the care of an expert medical team, so there is no reason to panic.
- Rhinoplasty risks with anesthesia are no different from other surgeries
7. Rhinoplasty can lead to Breathing issues
- Rhinoplasty surgery is done under anesthesia.
- The patient “ goes under” as the surgeon does his job.
- After the surgery, there is mild discomfort until the bruising heals and the nose takes its shape.
- This is managed with medication as prescribed by your doctor.
- Following after-care instructions would keep you comfortable.
8. Only Women undergo Rhinoplasty.
- As someone considering the procedure, this seems to be one of the most debated rhinoplasty myths.
- Immediately following the procedure, there is a certain amount of congestion and swelling that may cause discomfort in breathing.
- As time passes and the wound heals, it starts to resolve in about two weeks.
- You may expect the congestion and fluid to drain completely in about three to four weeks, the bruises will heal and breathing becomes better.
9. Rhinoplasty is covered by Insurance.
- More than men, women tend to go under the knife for aesthetic reasons.
- But to this day, it is assumed that only women get nose jobs done, and is one of the rhinoplasty myths.
- A study estimated that on average, about 77% of women undergo rhinoplasty, as compared to 23% of men.
- In today’s time and age, men are also opting for procedures to enhance their looks and also to pursue careers where looks play an important part.
10. You can get a nose like your favorite celebrity.
- Medical insurance does not cover cosmetic surgery.
- But if the rhinoplasty is part of a reconstructive procedure due to trauma or accident, then that part of the surgery will be covered based on the plan you have.
- Plastic surgery clinic in delhi now offer payment plans that make it easier for you to pay up in comfortable installments.
Rhinoplasty in Delhi
- The cost of rhinoplasty surgery in Delhi starts at Rs 75,000 and may go up to 1,50,000
- Factors that affect the cost include the nature of the procedure, location of the clinic, the surgeon’s fees, etc
Rhinoplasty risks are no much different than with any other surgery and include:
- Mild/ moderate risks of anesthesia
Also Read: Rhinoplasty Cost In India
Surgery is a skill and art like any other and Dr. Handa, a renowned cosmetic surgeon in delhi believes in it. He performs procedures that will help you in achieving the most pleasing nose that enhances your features and fine-tunes your looks. You will be under close monitoring and care to keep you away from rhinoplasty risks. He has great attention to detail and an eye for beauty that creates the highest standards of surgery. Dr. Handa is adept at listening to your concerns and understanding your desired changes. He will work with you towards a realistic expectation to create the nose of your dreams.